Monday, October 26, 2009

Essay about myself in order to enter a journalism camp during the summer

THE INTRIGUING JESSICA BORCHERS

While wondering the halls of Holmes Jr /Sr High School in Covington Kentucky, I met the most intriguing, young student. Jessica Michael Borchers, or Jessi as she prefers, is a junior and has nearly completed her first year in the International Baccalaureate Program. Though Jessi has vast intellectual knowledge, she also has about her a quirky, comical side that only her family and closest friends know of.
Her mother and father, who are Holmes graduates, are indescribably proud of their “shining star”, who has impressed them with her yearning desire for knowledge. However, Jessi is not the only one in her family with this need for academic growth. Her seven year old sister, Savannah Belle also possesses this desire. Having already been student of the month in kindergarten and first grade, as well as “diligent dolphin” all of her school career, Savannah is well on her way, following in her sister’s foot steps.
Jessi is the kind of person who says what’s on her mind. She believes everyone deserves a chance to prove themselves. She is a strong, giving young woman, with a brilliant sense of herself. Always willing to help others, having volunteered every year at “The Day in the Arts” program, in which all the elementary school students come to Holmes for a day of fun. Though it is often chaotic, she never fails to meet the challenge, leaving the children with a great day of memories.
Jessi, this junior over-achiever, is also the comic of her group, some might say clumsy. She has a history of being on crutches, and laughs about herself. What a good spirit this girl has.
Jessi enjoys simple activities like curling up with a good book or simply hanging out with her family. It doesn’t take too much to make her happy. One of her favorite family activities is going to the drive-in.
“I have many dreams,” she says, “however, I am not quiet sure if I can or how I can make them reality. My goals and dreams change as often as the weather in Northern Kentucky. For the longest time I had wanted to be a veterinarian, however I recently realized that I could not handle death of animals very well, especially by my own hand. Right now my main goal is to get though my junior year in high school.”
Jessi became interested in journalism in her ninth grade year when she was the editor and chief of the Holmespun. She realized then that she could create decent articles that would be amusing to her fellow peers. She wants to expand her knowledge on the subject of journalism in order to be a professional journalist and keep people informed of the goings-on in the community.

1 comment:

  1. I really like this piece of writing; it is both exciting and informative. The story is very interesting and the way you present the main character is great. After reading your work, I wanted to meet Jessica Borchers in person and find out even more about her, because she seems a great person. One thing I like the most about your story is the use of third person. Writing about yourself in third person is a very unordinary and creative technique to present your own personality. It makes the writing more objective and reliable, because the reader gets the feeling that an observer is describing you.
    I think you can work on the description of your two sides – the one that everybody sees and the other one which only your family and closest friends know of. I suggest that you use specific examples to illustrate those two parts of your character. You can write about some situation that you have experienced, and this will even more evidently represent your personality. Other than that everything else is very well presented to the reader.
    I really enjoyed reading this story just like the previous ones. I think that one day you will become a very good journalist!

    ReplyDelete